Most Christians desire to read and study God’s Word but many have a hard time keeping the habit of doing so. Others find it becoming dull, boring, or monotonous. If either of these describe your reading of God’s Word, or you just don’t know where to start—here are 7 Bible reading plans to help you begin the daily habit of reading God’s Word and find incredible enjoyment through diving into Scripture.
Listen to and Download the Episode
Episode 014 Overview
In this episode, you will …
- discover how long (or actually how short) it takes to read the Bible through in an entire year
- be challenged to have a greater goal than reading the Bible through once in your life
- learn seven Bible reading plans to help you develop a habit of reading God’s Word and keep it fresh and exciting
Show Notes / Additional Resources
7 Bible Reading Plans:
- “One Year Bible” Method
- Daily read a section (a couple chapters) from the Old Testament, the New Testament, and a portion of the Psalms and Proverbs
- Many “one year Bibles” have this format, but you can create your own plan using this concept
- Read the Bible through in ___ days
- Consider reading the entire Bible through in 90 days or read the New Testament through in 30 days
- In-depth New Testament Reading
- Read the Old Testament through each year (5-10 minutes each day)
- Take a New Testament book and read it every day for 30 days (for longer books, take seven or so chapters and read that through for a month—ie: it will take four months to read Matthew)
- In 2.5 years you will have read the Old Testament 2.5 times and have done an in-depth reading of every New Testament book
- George Müller Reading
- every day switch between reading the Old Testament and New Testament for however long you have time to read
- A portion of Scripture every day of the week
- However long you have time to read each week, focus each day on a different section of Scripture (place a bookmark or make a note of where you left off so on that day the next week you can pick up where you left off). Once you finish reading through that section, start back over—ie: on Mondays you begin reading Genesis through Deuteronomy; once you finish Deuteronomy, start back over in Genesis.
- Monday: (Law) Genesis – Deuteronomy
- Tuesday: (History) Joshua – Esther
- Wednesday: (Poetry) Job – Song of Solomon
- Thursday: (Prophets) Isaiah – Malachi
- Friday: (Gospels) Matthew – John
- Saturday: (remainder of New Testament) Acts – Revelation
- Sunday: you choose
- Audio Bible
- Audio Bibles are great to listen to while driving, working out, or doing yard work—and keep your mind focused on God’s Word at the same time
- BONUS: Robert Murray McCheyne Reading Plan
- Robert Murray McCheyne put together a Bible Reading Plan where you read four chapters each day—and read through the Old Testament once and the New Testament twice each year
- Article: Why This Is The Best Time To Start A Bible Reading Plan
- Article: How to craft a plan to read the Bible
- Other articles on deeperChristian about how to study and read the Bible
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
Help Us Out
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as iTunes uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
Join the Conversation
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation. This week’s question …
Question: What is your favorite way to read the Bible? Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
About NRJohnson & the deeperChristian Podcast
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
The deeperChristian Podcast is the podcast to help you study God’s Word, know Jesus intimately, and discover how you can build your life around Jesus Christ. This weekly audio program, hosted by NRJohnson, dives into Scripture and encourages Christians to keep their focus upon Jesus Christ—equipping believers in how to study the Bible and know God’s Word, grow in their spiritual lives, and change the world. Main discussion topics center around practical advice on Christian living, Bible study, prayer, the Gospel, freedom from sin, evangelism and how to share your faith, the Christian disciplines, and the lives and messages from the Christian heroes from yesteryear such as A.W. Tozer, Charles Spurgeon, Major Ian Thomas, Oswald Chambers, Hudson Taylor, Amy Carmichael, Corrie Ten Boom, C.T. Studd, George Müller, Andrew Murray, Leonard Ravenhill, E.M. Bounds, and others. Learn more about the deeper Christian life.