Paul declares that Jesus is the head of the Church, which is His body.
As believers, we must remember that if Christ is indeed the head, it means that we must come under His authority and leadership, that we look like Him and have His life and character (DNA), and that we must come to Him for our provision and life.
Join Nathan Johnson in this episode as we examine Paul’s exhortation in Ephesians 1:21-22.
Listen to and Download the Lesson
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Ephesians” or clicking the button below.
A Simple Bible Study Resource
Key Passage: Ephesians 1:21-22
Ephesians 1:21-22 – “… far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, …”
POWER OF GOD DEMONSTRATED IN THE LIFE OF JESUS
Outline of Section
1:20a – performance (demonstration) Life
1:20b-21 – position
1:21-22 – preeminence
1:23a – person
1:23b – purpose
FOR THE PURPOSE OF …
and gave him as head over all things to the church, …
Grammar: verb: gave (for the advantage of)
- Aorist, active, indicative (simple statement of fact)
- what did He give: Jesus
- for what purpose: to be head
- head of what: over all
- who did He give Jesus to / whose advantage: the church
- * Literal translation: The Father has given Jesus the position of “head” (which is above all) for the benefit and advantage of His body, the church.
3 ASPECTS OF THE ADVANTAGE
1. Jesus has the Authority, Dominion, and Leadership
- The head is the central control unit for the body – where the source and flow of life is produced
- Psalm 8.6: You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands; You have put all things under his feet…
- Psalm 145.13: Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, And Your dominion endures throughout all generations.
- Daniel 4.3: How great are His signs, And how mighty His wonders! His kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, And His dominion is from generation to generation.
- 1 Peter 4.11: … that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever.
- Col 2.9-10: For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.
- Col 1.18: And He is the head of the body, the church … that in all things He may have the preeminence.
- » Does Jesus has the authority and dominion and leadership in my life?
2. Jesus is to be our provision as we live in perfect union with Him
*The head is the central control unit for the body – where the source and flow of life is produced
Col 2.19: … the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God.
- The head is the provision and provides the nourishment to the rest of the body
- What is going on in the head is identical to what is going on in the body (nature, character, attitude, life flow, substance, etc)
*He is ALL that I need!
3. Jesus is our source of blessing
- Throughout the Bible one of the symbolisms for the head was blessing (you anointed it, laid hand upon it to bless, etc)
- Jesus is our blessing!
- our favor, reward, portion, glory, joy, protection, support, approval, advantage, benefit
In Our Next Study Together …
I invite you to join me on this journey from the book of Ephesians to discover God’s eternal purpose, His plan for your
- Focus of our next study: Ephesians 1:21-23
- We will examine the Church which is the body of Christ as found in Ephesians 1:21-23
- I encourage you to read through Ephesians a couple of times this week and focus specifically on the prayer section of Ephesians 1:19-23.
Help Others Out –
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts (formerly called iTunes)
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series in Ephesians is an in-depth verse-by-verse study of Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. These studies will guide you through this life-changing book of the Bible and give you practical application to help you grow in your faith, gain greater intimacy with Jesus, experience the victorious Christian life, and help you build your life around Jesus Christ.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the
Read more about him here.