Christianity is far more than a religion.
It is more than a religious duty of obligations, dos and don’ts, or mere behaviors we are to imitate.
Christianity, ultimately, is about relationship.
God’s salvific work in our lives was not only to forgive our sins but to draw us into an intimate nearness in relationship and intimacy.
In this expositional message from Ephesians 2:18, Nathan Johnson examines what it means for us to have access unto the Father through Jesus by the Spirit.
Listen to + Download the Study
Key Passage: Ephesians 2:18
Ephesians 2:18 – “For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.”
A Simple Bible Study Resource
Access to the Father
- NOW both groups, brought together as ONE, have access to the Father
- Have – verb of the sentence, in the indicative (simple statement of fact)
- Access – idea of drawing near, moving to
- “The freedom to enter through the assistance or favor of another”
- Only used 3 times as a noun (no action) in Scripture:
- Romans 5:1-2 – Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
- Ephesians 2:18 – For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.
- Ephesians 3:12 – . . .Christ, in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him
- Relational: From “God” to “Father”
- Old Testament never knew God as “Father”
- Jesus brought in language that no one had ever used before – calling God “daddy”
- was considered blasphemous for calling God His Father (putting Himself on the same level as God)
- Yet this is where all of salvation is going – not merely forgiveness but relationship with God Himself … such a closeness that it is not just “peace” but “intimate relationship” by calling Him “Father”
- Hebrews 4.16: Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
- Hebrews 10.19-22: Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh, . . . let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith . . .
- John 14.20: At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.
- John 15.4-5: Abide in Me, and I in you. As a branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
Where are you at?
- Do you come to church and know all the songs and read your Bible but it is all impersonal?
- Or do you have an intimate newness, where Jesus is sourcing your every moment and you find yourself basking in Him, ever-growing in love and oneness?
In Our Next Study Together …
I invite you to join me on this journey from the book of Ephesians to discover God’s eternal purpose, His plan for your
- The focus of our next study: Ephesians 2:19-22
- We will examine the three pictures Paul uses to talk about our new reality in Jesus – found in Ephesians 2:19-22.
- I encourage you to read through Ephesians a couple of times this week and focus specifically on Ephesians 2:11-22.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Ephesians” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
About The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series in Ephesians is a Christ-centered practical in-depth verse-by-verse study of Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. Join NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) as he expositionally preaches from this incredible book – which will help you grow in your faith, gain greater intimacy with Jesus, and understand how to study God’s Word.
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. Deeper Christian equips Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
About NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson)
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the
Read more about him here.