God’s wisdom and insight is available to you, and you need to receive it. As we dive further into Ephesians 1:7-8, Paul tells us that one of God’s blessings in our lives is that He has given (lavished) us in all wisdom and insight. This isn’t merely some interesting fact or tidbit, this is receiving the ability to understand, grasp, and apply the deep things of God in our lives (ie: His perspective) so that we might be able to live as Christians ought. And as you might have guessed, this is all found and received in Christ Jesus – who is Wisdom itself.
Receive the Insight and Wisdom of God
Watch the Video
Listen to and Download the Lesson
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Ephesians” or clicking the button below.
A Simple Study Reference
Passage: Ephesians 1:7-8
Receive the Insight and Wisdom of God
Ephesians 1:7-8 – “In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, …”
- Check out lesson 15 about the riches of God’s grace being lavished upon you
- Insight – Insight deals with thinking, the capacity for understanding, or the practical knowledge of that which concerns us. Simply, Paul is saying that God has given you the ability to think about and understand His mystery. You have the capacity for understanding.
- Wisdom (Greek: sophia) – means searching intellect, the answer to the eternal problems of life and death, God and the world, and time and eternity. While this word often relates to skills, expertise, and learning – the simple understanding of this word is the ability to see life from God’s perspective.
- Ephesians 1:17 – “… that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom (sophia) and revelation in the knowledge of Him.”
- 2 Peter 1:3 – “His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness …”
- James 1:3 – “If any of you lacks wisdom (sophia), let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.”
- Proverbs 1:7 – “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.”
- Proverbs 3:13 – “Happy [Blessed] is the man who finds wisdom, and the man who gains understanding; …”
- Proverbs 4:5-9 – “Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth. Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; Love her, and she will keep you. Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding. Exalt her, and she will promote you; She will bring you honor, when you embrace her. She will place on your head an ornament of grace; A crown of glory she will deliver to you.”
- Two points of application:
- You have the capacity to understand and you have received wisdom of the deep things of God. The mystery which Paul mentions in verse 9 has been made known to you and now you can begin to understand and live in accordance with that reality.
- Everyday living. We are talking about the blessings God has given us in Christ Jesus. And in Jesus we have all wisdom and insight we need for living.
NRJohnson Commentary on “Receive the Insight and Wisdom of God” in Ephesians 1:7-8
» sorry for the delay on the commentaries, I am working on it and will have it available on here shortly. Thanks for your patience.
In Our Next Study Together …
I invite you to join me on this journey from the book of Ephesians to discover God’s eternal purpose, His plan for your life, and learn how to practically live out an abundant and fruitful Christian life.
Next Study’s Focus: The Mystery of God’s Will (Ephesians 1:9).
If you desire to join me in preparing for next week’s study, I encourage you to do the following three things:
- Read the book of Ephesians (preferably every day)
- Saturate in Ephesians 1:3-14 (the blessing section)
- Do a study about the mystery of God’s will in Ephesians1:9: “… having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself …”
Help Others Out –
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts (formerly called iTunes)
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series in Ephesians is an in-depth verse-by-verse study of Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. These studies will guide you through this life-changing book of the Bible and give you practical application to help you grow in your faith, gain greater intimacy with Jesus, experience the victorious Christian life, and help you build your life around Jesus Christ.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the
Read more about him here.