The mystery Paul talks about in Ephesians 1:9 is focused on the centrality of the preeminence of Jesus Christ. In this lesson, we discuss how this mystery (Jesus) is seen all throughout the entire Bible and I give 3 of my favorite Christophanies—of how Jesus, the Cross, and the Gospel are hidden in plain sight all over the Old Testament.
The Mystery in the Old Testament
Watch the Video
Listen to and Download the Lesson
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Ephesians”
A Simple Study Reference
Passage: Ephesians 1:9
The Mystery in the Old Testament
Ephesians 1:7-8 – “In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, …”
Other Passages Mentioned:
- Romans 11:36 – “For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things.”
- 2 Corinthians 3:12-16 – “Seeing then that we have such hope, we speak with great boldness, not as Moses, who put a veil over his face, so that the children of Israel could not look intently at the end of what was fading away. Instead, their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the old covenant, the veil which was done away with in Christ. But even to this day, when Moses is read, the veil is in their hearts. Nevertheless when anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is removed.”
- John 1:1-4 – In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was
inthe beginning with God. All things were created through Him, and without Himnothing was created that was created. In Him was life, and the life was the light of mankind.
- Colossians 1:16-17 – For through Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they are thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in
Himall things hold together.
- John 5:39 – You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.
- Luke 24:27 – And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, [Jesus] expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.
- Acts 8:35 – Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture (Isaiah 53), preached Jesus to him.
3 of My Favorite Christophanies (Pictures of Jesus in the Old Testament)
- Bitter Waters (Exodus 15:22-27)
- Crossing the Jordan (Joshua 3:14-17)
- Rahab the Prostitute and the Scarlet Cord (Joshua 2)
NRJohnson Commentary on “The Mystery in the Old Testament“
» sorry for the delay on the commentaries, I am working on it and will have it available on here shortly. Thanks for your patience.
In Our Next Study Together …
I invite you to join me on this journey from the book of Ephesians to discover God’s eternal purpose, His plan for your
Help Others Out –
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts (formerly called iTunes)
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as iTunes uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series in Ephesians is an in-depth verse-by-verse study of Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. These studies will guide you through this life-changing book of the Bible and give you practical application to help you grow in your faith, gain greater intimacy with Jesus, experience the victorious Christian life, and help you build your life around Jesus Christ.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the
Read more about him here.