One of the most important aspects of Bible study (especially as we make observations) is context.
Context can often tell us more about the meaning of a passage than nearly anything else.
As we continue our mini-series of how to study the Bible, this episode we examine seven important contexts you need to know as you study the Bible.
Listen to and Download the Episode
Show Notes / Additional Resources
7 Types of Contexts to Consider for Bible Study
- Historical Context
- where the passage happened in history
- for example Luke 2:1
- Cultural Context
- for example Acts 1:6
- Linguistic/Grammatical Context
- includes words, their meanings, grammar, and original languages
- Literary Context
- What type of genre is the passage – for example: poetry, narrative, biographical, prophecy, apocalyptic, letter
- Journalistic Questions (Who, To Whom, Where, When, Why)
- Scriptural Context
- Is there significance to the passage in relation to the passages around it? In relation to the book? In the writings of the same author? In all of Scripture?
- Geographical Context
- “Everything happened somewhere”
- Use maps or an atlas to figure out where places are located and what significance the location has in the passage
- Take a Bible Study Tour to Israel
- Visual Context
- When you hear about an item – what would they have looked like and/or worked in Bible times
- Find out more about future Bible Study Tours to Israel
Join the Conversation
Question: How has context helped you understand the Bible?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.