The Jewish festival of Hanukkah (also known as the Festival of Lights or the Feast of Dedication) was a celebration to remember the provision and miracle God did with the oil in the Temple about 200 years before Jesus.
Some scholars believe Jesus was likely born during this eight-day celebration, and we know that in John 10 we find Jesus celebrating the holiday down at the Temple.
Regardless, the Festival of Lights is a reminder of the True Light, Jesus Christ. He is the Light of the world, even amidst a culture that loves darkness and hates the light.
In this episode, we are reminded that regardless of what culture does or how dark it gets, Jesus is the Light and we should purposefully use this season to celebrate and focus on Him.
Listen to and Download the Episode
Show Notes / Additional Resources
- John 10:22-23 – At that time the Feast of Dedication took place at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the colonnade of Solomon.
- Isaiah 9:2 – The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone.
- Isaiah 42:1, 6, 7 – Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations. … I am the LORD; I have called you in righteousness; I will take you by the hand and keep you; I will give you as a covenant for the people, a light for the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness.
- John 8:12 – Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
- Revelation 22:5 – And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever.
- John 1:5 – The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
- John 1:9 – The true light, which gives light to everyone, was coming into the world.
- John 3:19 – And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.
Join the Conversation
Question: How do you stay intentionally focused on Jesus during this season?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.