Over the past few episodes, we’ve talked about holiness and how to live a holy life.
Yet, as we pursue a holy and godly life, we must remember these five key things about holiness.
In this episode, Nathan continues our discussion on holiness and gives five key reminders you need to know about holiness and righteousness.
5 key reminders about holiness:
- Positive – in Scripture, holiness is always a positive, never a negative. Holiness is less about what you don’t get to do and more about what you DO get to do (walk in freedom, life, victory, joy, and triumph … you get to share in and experience the very life of Christ)!
- Purity – holiness is being set apart for a specific purpose. We are to be Christlike and godly in this sinful world (see 2 Peter 1:3-4). To walk in holiness means that God wants to purify every aspect and area of our lives.
- Purpose – the purpose of holiness isn’t just for you. Yes you get to experience the benefits of holiness (the life of Christ Himself) … but the purpose of holiness is so that the world would see the life of Christ within you. Just as the moon reflects the light of the sun, so too we are to reflect the light of Jesus. When we walk in holiness, as we live by His life, the world begins to see the reality and truth of the Gospel lived out through my life – they see the life of Jesus through my words, thoughts, and actions.
- Passion – the passion and obsession of our lives is to be the life (and holiness) of God. As we walk in holiness we find ourselves loving what God loves and hating what He hates. We love the things of God and hate sin. Holiness should define our lives because it is the passion of our lives.
- Progression – there is a process of sanctification that takes place througout our entire life. Just as Ezekiel progressed in the River of God, ever increasing and going deeper, so too the holiness of God goes deeper and increases throughout our lives. We should become more holy and more set apart the longer we are Christians.
Listen to and Download the Episode
Show Notes / Additional Resources
- Listen to the episode where we talk about God’s Name “Jehovah Mekoddishkem” (The LORD Who Sanctifies You)
- Listen to the previous episode where we discuss the secret to becoming holy.
- 2 Peter 3:11-12 – Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat!
- 1 Peter 1:15-16 – … but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, “YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY.”
- Isaiah 64:6a – For all of us have become like one who is unclean, And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment …
Join the Conversation
Question: How have you seen God produce holiness and Christlikeness in your life by embracing Him?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.