Our mouths declare what is in our hearts.
Biblically, we are told that thanksgiving is to be the constant reality of a Christian—because of all Jesus Christ accomplished at the cross.
But in these dark days, it is easy to fill our mouths with gossip, slander, bitterness, discouragement, and a host of other pollution—which means we need to allow the Spirit of God to transform our lives and stand guard over our hearts and minds (see Philippians 4:7).
In this episode, Nathan reminds us that as Christians what is upon our lips is a good indicator of what is inside our lives.
Listen to or download the episode
Show Notes / Scriptures Used
- James 3:3-6 – See how we put bits in the mouths of horses that they may obey us, and we control their whole bodies. And observe ships. Though they are so great and are driven by fierce winds, yet they are directed with a very small rudder wherever the captain pleases. Even so, the tongue is a little part of the body and boasts great things. See how great a forest a little fire kindles.
- James 1:26 – If anyone among you seems to be religious and does not bridle his tongue, but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is vain.
- Matthew 12:34-35 – For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things. And an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.
- the heart reveals whats “inside”
- 1 Peter 3:10 – He who would love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil, and his lips from speaking deceit. (quoting Psalm 34:12-16)
- Ephesians 5:3-4 – And do not let sexual immorality, or any impurity, or greed be named among you, as these are not proper among saints. Let there be no filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse joking, which are not fitting. Instead, give thanks.
- Filthiness: obscenity, speaking that which is shameful
- Foolish Talking: foolish talk, to be dazed, stupid conversation like that of a drunk person (the root word is used of salt loosing its flavor, see Matthew 5:13)
- Coarse Jesting: wit or humor that evokes laughter and degrades that which is pure, right, honorable, true – in context the idea is taking what God created as pure and good (sexuality) and being crass and joking about it
Join the Conversation
Question: How have you been thankful lately?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.