We are beginning our expositional study in the book of Ephesians.
Before we dive into the book itself, it is important that we understand the context for why Paul wrote Ephesians and gain an overview of the book as a whole. In this introductory lesson, we walk through Paul’s missionary journeys showing why Ephesus was such a strategic location for ministry and then take a cursory view of Paul’s letter to the church in Ephesus.
Listen to and Download the Lesson
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Ephesians” or clicking the button below.
A Simple Bible Study Resource
Key Passage: Book of Ephesians
- Author: Apostle Paul
- Location: Paul was in prison in Rome when he wrote it (similar to books like Philippians, Colossians, Philemon)
- Date: written likely around 60-62 AD
- Audience: Many scholars presume that Paul wrote the letter of Ephesians to a group of churches in Asia Minor. Paul presumably addressed the letter to the Ephesians because it was the biggest city, and therefore biggest church, in the region—but because of his lack of personal correspondence in Ephesians, it is presumed he may have been writing to a larger group of churches. See, in most of Paul’s letters he gives a lot of personal correspondence like “Greet so and so” or “say hi to this person” — but he doesn’t do that in Ephesians (which seems odd since he lived for three years in the city). Regardless of whether he was writing to a larger group of churches in the region or not, understanding the city of Ephesus which the letter was addressed to will give you greater insight into the letter itself.
- Summary Passage of the Book – Ephesians 4:1-2: “I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, exhort you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you were called. With all humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another in love, be eager to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.”
In Our Next Study Together …
I invite you to join me on this journey from the book of Ephesians to discover God’s eternal purpose, His plan for your life, and learn how to practically live out an abundant and fruitful Christian life.
We will be looking at the prologue (introduction) found in Ephesians 1:1-2.
- I’d encourage you to read the entire book of Ephesians this week (preferably every day) …out loud (remember, it’s an epistle)
- look at the first two verses and think through how these two verses play into the entire book and the significance of the statement
Help Others Out –
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts (formerly called iTunes)
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series in Ephesians is an in-depth verse-by-verse study of Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. These studies will guide you through this life-changing book of the Bible and give you practical application to help you grow in your faith, gain greater intimacy with Jesus, experience the victorious Christian life, and help you build your life around Jesus Christ.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the
Read more about him here.