When we sing the old hymn “There is Power in the Blood,” do you know what power we are talking about?
And even though while there is tremendous power in the blood of Christ – and we may sing it, know it, and declare it – it doesn’t mean we actually experience and live within this incredible reality.
In this expositional sermon of Ephesians 2:13, Nathan Johnson talks about being brought near by the blood of Christ, it’s effectual power to work in our lives, and why we consider the blood of Jesus precious (1 Peter 1:19).
Listen to + Download the Study
Key Passage: Ephesians 2:13
Ephesians 2:13 – “But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.”
A Simple Bible Study Resource
The Place (Position) of the Gentile …
- Without Christ
- Excluded [alien] from the commonwealth of Israel
- Strangers from the covenants of promise
- Without hope
- Without God in the world
» Summary of all this: “far off”
- Literally: Made near
- Near: from a root word that means to squeeze or throttle
- Word is used 30x in NT
From Far Off to Brought Near Pictures
Ark of the Covenant
- a holy vessel to be set apart for His use
- has special instructions for how it is to be carried (only Levites)
- in the temple it was separated by a thick-heavy curtain to keep people out (far off)
- only one person (High Priest) could enter in once a year (all Jews was kept out)
- Gentiles couldn’t even get close (outer/Gentile court of the temple)
- was a picture of the heavenly throne room – representing the very presence of God
- Matthew 27:50-51: And Jesus cried out gain with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit. Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split.
- We get to boldly enter into the Presence of God!
- Hebrews 4:16: Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
- Hebrews 10:19: Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus
- Meaning we have access into the very presence of God. We could walk boldly into the Holiest of Holy places because we have been brought near, sin has been dealt with, and we are NEW creatures.
Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-32)
- Luke 15:15-24 – But when he had spent all, there arose a severe famine in that land, and he began to be in want. Then he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country, and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. And he would gladly have filled his stomach with the pods that the pigs ate, and no one gave him anything. But when he came to himself, he said, “How many of my father’s hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants.’ ” And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. And the son said to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son.” But the father said to his servants, “Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry; for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.” And they began to celebrate.
Jews + Gentiles
- Gentiles were “far off” but brought near by the blood of Christ (Ephesians 2:13)
Blood of Christ
- How have we who were far off been brought near? » by the blood of Christ
- D. Martyn Lloyd Jones: “Our gospel is a gospel of blood; blood is the foundation; without it there is nothing.” (Lloyd-Jones, 188)
There is Power in the Blood
Would you be free from the burden of sin?
There’s power in the blood, power in the blood
Would you o’er evil a victory win?
There’s wonderful power in the blood
There is power, power, wonder-working power
In the blood of the Lamb
The Precious Blood of Christ
- 1 Peter 1:19: … you were ransomed … with the precious blood of Christ …
- Ephesians 2:11-13 … the blood …
- Brought us near (removed the separation) with access to Christ
- Partakers of the commonwealth of Israel
- Partakers of the covenants of promise
- Have God in the world
What the Precious Blood of Christ is for …
- For the forgiveness of sins (Ephesians 1:7, Colossians 1:14, Hebrews 9:7)
- For our ransom from the futile ways of the world (1 Peter 1:17-19)
- For atonement (Romans 5:11)
- For propitiation – a just and satisfying offering in our stead (Romans 3:25)
- For our justification from sin (Romans 5:9)
- For the remission of sins. (Matthew 26:28, Romans 3:25, Hebrews 9:22)
- For the cleansing, washing from all sin (1 John 1:7, Revelation 1:5, Revelation 7:14)
- For the establishment of a new covenant (Luke 22:20)
- For reconciliation unto Christ (Colossians 1:20)
- For the purging of our consciences (Hebrews 9:14)
- For peace (Colossians 1:20)
- For righteousness (Romans 3:22, 2 Corinthians 5:21, Philippians 3:9, 1 John 1:9)
- For the purpose of saving us from the wrath that will come (Romans 5:9)
- For the destruction of the devil (Hebrews 2:14)
- For overcoming the Devil (Revelation 12:11)
- For redemption, eternal redemption – for the purchase of our very beings (Acts 20:28, Ephesians 1:7, Colossians 1:14, Hebrews 9:12, 1 Peter 1:17-19, Revelation 5:9)
- For the purpose of giving us life within, eternal life (John 6:53,54)
- For the bringing back to life (Hebrews 13:20)
- For blessing (1 Corinthians 10:16)
- For sanctification (Hebrews 10:29; Hebrews 13:12)
- For spiritual and physical healing (Isaiah 53:5; 1 Peter 2:24)
- For boldness to enter in to the Holy of Holies, the very presence of God (Hebrews 10:19)
- For the purpose of enabling us to make our daily, hourly, minute-by-minute home in Christ Jesus (John 6:56)
The Blood of Christ is Applied in 3 Directions
Are you allowing the blood of Christ to be efficacious (successful in producing a desired result) in your life?
1. Godward – it removes the separation
2. Manward – It purges the conscience, eliminates the guilt
3. Satanward – It removes the grounds for his accusation
The Blood of Jesus is not just for forgiveness but also for intimacy
- 1 John 1.7b: . . . and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
- Not just forgiveness but entrance into intimacy (freedom from sin, adoption, oneness, sourcing, etc)
In Our Next Study Together …
I invite you to join me on this journey from the book of Ephesians to discover God’s eternal purpose, His plan for your
- The focus of our next study: Ephesians 2:14
- We will examine the amazing reality that Jesus doesn’t only give us peace but is our peace.
- I encourage you to read through Ephesians a couple of times this week and focus specifically on Ephesians 2:11-22.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Ephesians” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
About The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series in Ephesians is a Christ-centered practical in-depth verse-by-verse study of Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. Join NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) as he expositionally preaches from this incredible book – which will help you grow in your faith, gain greater intimacy with Jesus, and understand how to study God’s Word.
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. Deeper Christian equips Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
About NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson)
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the
Read more about him here.