In Lesson 6 of the Deeper Christian Bible Study Series in Ephesians, we focus on the phrase “In Christ.” In this study, we examine what it means to be “in Christ” and ultimately the other half of the Christian life of “Christ In You.” In order to better understand this tremendous reality, we look at three concepts: induction, indwelling, and identity.
What Are You Into?
Watch the Video
Listen to and Download the Lesson
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Ephesians”
A Simple Study Reference
Passage: Ephesians 1:3
What Are You Into?
Ephesians 1:3 – Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, in Christ; …
- “In Christ”
- The heart of the epistle is the concept of being “In Christ” which is used 34 times in the first 3 chapters (In Him, In Whom, In Christ, etc)
- “In Christ” is used 12 times just in the blessing section (12 verses)
- someone said that “in Christ” is found 160 times in the Bible
- Greek: EN: translated “in” – contains the primary idea of “rest.” Implies no motion, but remaining in place.
- See Romans 5-6
- Ephesians 2:1 – [You were] “dead in your trespasses and sins…”
- Ephesians 2:4 – “But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), …”
- Ephesians 2:8 – “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God …”
- Romans 10:9, 13 – “if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. … For whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”
- Acts 15:11 – “But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved …”
- Acts 16:31 – “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved …”
- John 20:31 – “but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:17, 21 – “…if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. … For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.”
- Galatians 2:20 – “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.”
- Colossians 1:26-27 – “the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints. To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.”
- 1 Corinthians 6:19 – “Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?”
- Ephesians 4:13 – “… till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ …”
- Colossians 2:9-10 – “For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him …”
- Philippians 2:5 – “mind of Christ”
- Greek: phroneō – mind, attitude, orientation and focus
- in the “present, passive, imperative”
- John 13:35 – “By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- 1 John 4:8, 16 – “God is love.”
NRJohnson Commentary on “What Are You Into?” in Ephesians 1:3
» sorry for the delay on the commentaries, I am working on it and will have it available on here shortly. Thanks for your patience.
In Our Next Study Together …
I invite you to join me on this journey from the book of Ephesians to discover God’s eternal purpose, His plan for your
If you desire to join me in preparing for next week’s study, I encourage you to do the following three things:
- Read the book of Ephesians (preferably every day)
- Saturate in Ephesians 1:3-14 (the blessing section)
- Do a study in verse 4 and examine what it means to be chosen before the foundation of the world.
Help Others Out –
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts (formerly called iTunes)
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as iTunes uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series in Ephesians is an in-depth verse-by-verse study of Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. These studies will guide you through this life-changing book of the Bible and give you practical application to help you grow in your faith, gain greater intimacy with Jesus, experience the victorious Christian life, and help you build your life around Jesus Christ.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the
Read more about him here.