A superlative is a word that conveys the highest quality or degree of something. And it appears that every time Paul talks about Jesus, he can’t help but do so with a bounty of superlatives flowing forth.
In this lesson, we continue to look at Ephesians 1:7-8 and discuss what it means for God to lavish upon us the riches of His grace. You will discover that everything you need for life and godliness is found in one single place—Jesus Christ.
A Superlative Waterfall of Grace
Watch the Video
Listen to and Download the Lesson
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Ephesians” or clicking the button below.
A Simple Study Reference
Passage: Ephesians 1:7-8
A Superlative Waterfall of Grace
Ephesians 1:7-8 – “In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, …”
- Superlatives – check out my list of favorites
- D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones – “This theme obviously filled the mind and the heart of this great Apostle. It was something that ravished his heart. As Philip Doddridge assures us, grace was to him ‘a charming sound, harmonious to the ear.’ It ravished [Paul’s] heart and moved his entire being. He never mentions “grace” without going into some kind of ecstasy. The word always calls forth his superlatives. It had so gripped him and amazed him and moved him that he could scarcely control himself.”
- Matthew 14:15 – “They all ate and were filled. And they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments that remained.”
- 2 Corinthians 9:8 – “God is able to make all grace abound toward you, so that you, always having enough of everything, may abound to every good work.”
- Niagara Falls –
- The height of the falls is between 50-188 feet depending on where you are at.
- In terms of amount of water, 681,750 gallons of water per second flow over the Horseshoe Falls portion of Niagara.
- The water falls at 32 feet per second over the Falls, hitting the base of the Falls with 2,509 tons of force at the Horseshoe Falls.
- John 10:10 – “The thief does not come, except to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”
NRJohnson Commentary on “A Superlative Waterfall of Grace” in Ephesians 1:7-8
» sorry for the delay on the commentaries, I am working on it and will have it available on here shortly. Thanks for your patience.
In Our Next Study Together …
I invite you to join me on this journey from the book of Ephesians to discover God’s eternal purpose, His plan for your life, and learn how to practically live out an abundant and fruitful Christian life.
Next Study’s Focus: The wisdom and insight which God has given to understand His Mystery (Ephesians 1:7-9).
If you desire to join me in preparing for next week’s study, I encourage you to do the following three things:
- Read the book of Ephesians (preferably every day)
- Saturate in Ephesians 1:3-14 (the blessing section)
- Do a study about wisdom and insight in Ephesians1:7-8: “In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence [insight] …”
- To dive deeper into wisdom this week, read the entire book of Proverbs
Help Others Out –
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts (formerly called iTunes)
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series in Ephesians is an in-depth verse-by-verse study of Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. These studies will guide you through this life-changing book of the Bible and give you practical application to help you grow in your faith, gain greater intimacy with Jesus, experience the victorious Christian life, and help you build your life around Jesus Christ.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the
Read more about him here.