Paul declares there is a great mystery. But what is the mystery and how does it affect our lives? The answer to these two questions become paramount as we discover that this mystery is the central focus to all of Scripture and is to be great focus of our lives.
Watch the Video
Listen to and Download the Lesson
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Ephesians”
A Simple Study Reference
Passage: Ephesians 1:9
Ephesians 1:7-10 – “In Him we have redemption through His blood and the forgiveness of sins according to the riches of His grace, which He lavished on us in all wisdom and insight, making known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure, which He purposed in Himself, as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in Christ, which are in heaven and on earth.”
Other Passages Mentioned:
- Ephesians 3:3-5 – how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets …
- Ephesians 3:8-9 – To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make all see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ …
- Ephesians 5:31-33 – “For this
reasona man shall leave his father and mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the two shall be one flesh.” This is a great mystery, but I am speaking about Christ and the church. However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.”
- Romans 16:25 – Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began …
- 1 Corinthians 2:7-8 – But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory, which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
- Colossians 1:26-27 – … the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints. To
themGod willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
- Romans 11:33-36 – O the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable are His ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has become His counselor? Or who has first given to Him, and it shall be repaid to him?” For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things.
ToHim be glory forever! Amen.
- Colossians 1:16-17 – For through Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they are thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in
Himall things hold together.
- Galatians 2:20 – I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
“The Christian life can be explained only in terms of Jesus Christ, and if your life as a Christian can still be explained in terms of you – your personality, your willpower, your gift, your talent, your money, your courage, your scholarship, your dedication, your sacrifice, or your anything – than although you may have the Christian life, you are not yet living it! … It has got to become obvious to others that the kind of life you are living is … beyond all human explanation!” – Major Ian Thomas
NRJohnson Commentary on “The Mystery” in Ephesians 1:9
» sorry for the delay on the commentaries, I am working on it and will have it available on here shortly. Thanks for your patience.
In Our Next Study Together …
I invite you to join me on this journey from the book of Ephesians to discover God’s eternal purpose, His plan for your
Next Study’s Focus: The Mystery seen in the Old Testament (Ephesians 1:9).
If you desire to join me in preparing for next week’s study, I encourage you to do the following three things:
- Read the book of Ephesians (preferably every day)
- Saturate in Ephesians 1:3-14 (the blessing section)
- Do a study about the mystery of God’s will in Ephesians1:9: “… having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself …” and consider how we see the mystery (Jesus) throughout the Old Testament.
Help Others Out –
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts (formerly called iTunes)
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as iTunes uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series in Ephesians is an in-depth verse-by-verse study of Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. These studies will guide you through this life-changing book of the Bible and give you practical application to help you grow in your faith, gain greater intimacy with Jesus, experience the victorious Christian life, and help you build your life around Jesus Christ.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the
Read more about him here.