I’m a big fan of Christian biographies, especially stories of missionaries.
Somehow, I get lost in their stories, am edified by their lives, and challenged by their givenness to Jesus Christ.
I recently read Bruchko by Bruce Olson and was not only captivated by his story, but deeply convicted as well. So in this episode, I wanted to discuss seven things I learned while reading the book.
Listen to and Download the Episode
7 Things I Learned from Bruchko …
- The power and importance of deep Christian friendship
- There is a tremendous difficulty in the translation process of Scripture into other languages and cultures
- Faith: tying hammocks to the rafters
takestremendous sacrifice … but it also gives abundant joy
- Start where you are (your own “Jerusalem”)
- Acts 1:8 – “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you
; andyou shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
- How so few in my generation and younger aren’t living for anything beyond themselves or for eternity (we live for now and are unwilling to give ourselves for a greater God-given purpose)
- I was encouraged (often laughing) and reminded of Gods faithfulness and provision
- We can quickly see God’s faithfulness in other’s lives but forget He is faithful in our own lives
- The Butterfly Effect – one life can change countless others
- The importance of reading Christian biographies (see below)
Show Notes / Additional Resources
Here is a list of some of my favorite Christian biographies:
- Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman
- Brother Andrew: God’s Smuggler
- Mr. Bae: These are the Generations
- Samuel Brengle: Portrait of a Prophet (Clarence Hall)
- Amy Carmichal: Gold Cord
- Amy Carmichael: A Chance to Die (Elizabeth Elliot)
- Oswald Chambers: Abandoned to God (David McCasland)
- Marie Chapian: Of Whom the World was not Worthy
- Jim & Elizabeth Elliot: The Shadow of the Almighty
- Jim & Elizabeth Elliot: Through the Gates of Splendor
- Keith Green: No Compromise: the life story of Keith Green (Melody Green)
- Rees Howells: Intercessor (Norman Grubb)
- John Hyde: Praying Hyde (EG Carre)
- Esther Ahn Kim – If I Perish
- DL Moody: Passion for Souls (Lyle Dorsett)
- Samuel Morris
- George Müller: Autobiography
- George Müller of Bristol (Arthur Pierson)
- Andrew Murray: Authorized Biography (Leona Choy)
- Jackie Pullenger: Chasing the Dragon
- Don Richardson: Peace Child
- Don Richardson: Lords of this Earth
- CT Studd: Cricketer and Pioneer (Norman Grubb)
- Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret (Dr. and Mrs. Howard Taylor)
- Hudson Taylor: A Retrospect
- Corrie Ten Boom: The Hiding Place
- Corrie Ten Boom: Tramp for the Lord
- David Wilkerson: The Cross and the Switchblade
- Richard Wurmbrand: Tortured For Christ
- Sabina Wurmbrand: The Pastor’s Wife
- Brother Yun: The Heavenly Man
- They Found the Secret (V. Raymond Edman)
- Foxes Book of Martyrs (John Foxe)
- Martyrs Mirror
- Heroes of the Holy Life (Wesley Duewel)
- Deeper Experiences of Famous Christians (James Lawson)
- Bible Characters (Alexander Whyte)
Join the Conversation
Question: What is one of your favorite Christian biographies?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out –
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts (formerly called iTunes)
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
About NRJohnson & the Deeper Christian Podcast
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
The Deeper Christian Podcast is the podcast to help you study God’s Word, know Jesus intimately, and discover how you can build your life around Jesus Christ. This weekly audio program, hosted by NRJohnson, dives into Scripture and encourages Christians to keep their focus upon Jesus Christ—equipping believers in how to study the Bible and know God’s Word, grow in their spiritual lives, and change the world. Main discussion topics center around practical advice on Christian living, Bible study, prayer, the Gospel, freedom from sin, evangelism and how to share your faith, the Christian disciplines, and the lives and messages from the Christian heroes from yesteryear such as A.W. Tozer, Charles Spurgeon, Major Ian Thomas, Oswald Chambers, Hudson Taylor, Amy Carmichael, Corrie Ten Boom, C.T. Studd, George Müller, Andrew Murray, Leonard Ravenhill, E.M. Bounds, and others. Learn more about the deeper Christian life.