In the upper room scene with His disciples, Jesus explains the focus and goal of everything: Himself. He says that He alone is the way, the truth, and the life.
In this episode, we explore John 14 and what it means for Jesus to be THE way, THE truth, and THE life. Simply, we must center our lives on Christ and allow Him to be the focus of everything in our lives.
Listen to or download the episode
John 14:1-6 – “Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way where I am going.” Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going. How do we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but through Me.”
Jesus is the Way
- During the life of Jesus there were many who were pointing the way to God …
- Some Rabbis said you had to obey strict regulations of the law
- The zealots said you had to fight your way to freedom and life
- Jesus said He is the only way to the Father
- The truth about life in Jesus was often called “the Way” in the book of Acts
- See Acts 16:17; 18:25-26; 19:9, 23; 22:4; 24:14, 22; 2 Peter 2:21
- To the point where even the early church were first called followers of the Way before they were called Christians
- See Acts 19:9, 23; 22:4; 24:22
- Jesus isn’t merely pointing the way to salvation … He is salvation … He is the way itself
- His very name means “God is salvation”
- Acts 4:12 – And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
- He is the pattern for living
Jesus is the Truth
- Jesus doesn’t merely speak truthful words or can point to truth … He embodies it to the point where He is the message, He is truth itself
- John 16:13 – When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.
- John 17:17 – Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.
- If Jesus is truth itself than anything outside of Jesus is a lie
Jesus is the Life
- John 10:10 – The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
- Abundantly: exceeding, more than is necessary, superadded, supremely, abundantly, much more than all, superior, extraordinary, surpassing, uncommon, more remarkable, more excellent, pre-eminence, superiority, advantage
- Deuteronomy 30:19-20 – I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the LORD your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life …
- Colossians 3:4 – When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
- God’s key purpose in Scripture = LIFE
- John 15 – Abide in the life of the vine
- If Jesus is life than anything outside of Jesus always leads to death
- John + 1 John emphasizes that Jesus is life itself
Join the Conversation
Question: How have you experienced Jesus as your way, truth, and life?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.