As we engage in God’s Word, there are two essential aspects we must keep in mind if we desire to grow spiritually and understand the depth of Scripture.
Not only must we READ the Bible, we also must STUDY it. Both are critical to Bible study.
In this episode we talk specifically about reading the Bible, why it’s important, and give 10 ways you can intentionally read God’s Word.
Listen to and Download the Episode
Show Notes / Additional Resources
- We read the Bible for breadth, we study the Bible for depth.
- “I saw that the most important thing I had to do was to give myself to the reading of the word of God, and to meditation on it. … What is the food of the inner man? Not prayer, but the word of God; and … not the simple reading of the word of God, so that it only passes through our minds, just as water runs through a pipe, but considering what we read, pondering over it, and applying it to our hearts.” – George Müller
10 Ways to Read Scripture
* Taken in large part from Howard & William Hendricks’s book Living By the Book
- Thoughtfully – think about the text
- Repeatedly – read it often … over and over
- Read entire books in one sitting
- Start at the beginning of the book
- Use difference translations
- Listen to Scripture
- Read the Bible out loud
- Have a schedule
- Patiently – go slow … realize study takes time (“fruit takes time to ripen”)
- Selectively – ask the right questions
- Wherefore? – so what?
- Prayerfully – pray through Scripture
- Imaginatively – let the Word come alive: use your imagination
- Use different translations
- Rewrite the text in your own paraphrase
- Read in a different language
- Listen to Scripture
- Vary your setting (example: read Psalm 23 watching sheep)
- Meditatively – reflect “day and night” – this is not a 20-minute activity
- Purposefully – look for the aim/purpose of the author (nothing is an accident)
- Acquisitively – don’t just read to receive it but retain/possess it
- Telescopically – view the parts in light of the whole
More resources on how to read the Bible:
- 5 Creative Ways to Read the Bible This Year That WON’T Be Boring
- Why This Is The Best Time To Start A Bible Reading Plan
- 10 Ways to read the Bible
- Charles Spurgeon on How to Read the Bible
- Charles Spurgeon’s Simple Secret to Enjoy Reading Your Bible
- The Necessity of Reading the Bible Daily (JR Miller)
Join the Conversation
Question: What is one way you have read the Bible that would be helpful for others to know about?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.