We know wisdom is important, but what is its value in our lives?
Proverbs is a book of “wisdom” – and we are told specifically that if we receive, hide, incline our ears, apply, cry out, lift up, and seek wisdom we will experience incredible benefit.
In this episode, we examine Proverbs 2 and the seven key things we are to do with wisdom so that we may experience the value of it.
In so doing, we discover that wisdom is far more than intellectual knowledge or information – for the fulfillment and fullness of wisdom is found in the Bible and in Jesus Christ … for He is our wisdom.
Listen to and Download the Episode
Show Notes / Additional Resources
- James 1:5 – If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.
- Ephesians 1:7b–8 – … according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight …
- Proverbs 1:1–7 – The proverbs of Solomon, son of David, king of Israel: To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight, to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice, and equity; to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth— Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance, to understand a proverb and a saying, the words of the wise and their riddles. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.
- Proverbs 2:1–4 – My son, if you will receive my words, and hide my commandments within you, so that you incline your ear to wisdom, and apply your heart to understanding; yes, if you cry out for knowledge, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures, …
7 “If” Statements in Proverbs 2
- If you will receive my words
- If you hide my commandments within you
- If you incline your ear to wisdom
- If you apply your heart to understanding
- If you cry out for knowledge
- If you lift up your voice for understanding
- If you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures
4 “Then” Statements in Proverbs 2
- Proverbs 2:5–6 – Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; out of His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
- Proverbs 2:9 – Then you will understand righteousness and judgment and equity, and every good path.
- Proverbs 2:10–11 – When wisdom enters your heart, and knowledge is pleasant to your soul, discretion will preserve you; understanding will keep you …
- Part One: … to deliver you from the way of the evil man, from the man who speaks perverse things (Proverbs 2:12)
- Part Two: … to deliver you from the immoral woman, even from the seductress who flatters with her words (Proverbs 2:16)
- Proverbs 2:20 – So you may walk in the way of good men and keep the paths of the righteous.
Psalm 1 – Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; for the LORD knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.
Join the Conversation
Question: What value have you found in wisdom?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.