King David’s life is a picture of what it means to walk in the holiness and righteousness of God … and what it looks like to not.
1 Kings 15:5 tells us that David always did what was right in the eyes of God, except one time, with the manner of Uriah the Hittite.
While David was always living in the life and perspective of God, there was one time (just one time!) when he turned within himself and decided what was “right” in his own eyes—deciding to live in sin and depravity rather than by the righteous life of God Almighty.
In this episode, we continue our discussion on holiness and righteousness by examining the downfall (sin) of David and how even a single sin can lead to the downfall of many … and what it means as believers to embrace and live by the holiness of Jesus Christ.
Listen to and Download the Episode
Show Notes / Additional Resources
- 1 Kings 15:5 – David did what was right in the sight of the LORD, and had not turned aside from anything that He commanded him all the days of his life, except in the case of Uriah the Hittite.
- David is crowned king over all Israel and the Philistines come out fo stand against David (2 Samuel 5)
- 2 Samuel 11:1 – Then it happened in the spring, at the time when kings go out to battle, that David sent Joab and his servants with him and all Israel, and they destroyed the sons of Ammon and besieged Rabbah. But David stayed at Jerusalem.
- James 1:15 – Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.
- 2 Samuel 11:3-4 – So David sent and inquired about the woman. And one said, “Is this not Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?” David sent messengers and took her, and when she came to him, he lay with her; and when she had purified herself from her uncleanness, she returned to her house.
- 2 Samuel 11:27b – … But the thing that David had done was evil in the sight of the LORD.
- “Sin will take you further than you want to go, keep you longer than you want to stay, and cost you more than you want to pay.” (Unknown Author)
- Read more about John and Betty Stam’s “Seven Steps Upward and Seven Steps Downward”
- Learn more about the upcoming Bible Study Tour in Israel
Join the Conversation
Question: How does David’s downfall encourage you to walk in the holiness and righteousness of God?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.