Over the years, I’ve noticed that most students of the Bible are missing one key aspect in their reading and study.
In this episode, Nathan Johnson talks about the importance of context and gives some of his favorite examples of taking Bible verses out of context – and why we need to make sure we read and study in biblical context.
Listen to and Download the Episode
Examples of Bad or No Context (verses out of context)
- Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
- Television for No One: “As they were coming down from the mountain, Jesus commanded them, saying, ‘Tell the vision to no one until the Son of Man has risen from the dead.'” (Matthew 17:9)
- The single woman’s favorite Bible verse: “If any man shall come after me, let him …” (Matthew 16:24).
- The favorite verse of those who are not morning people: “Whoever blesses his neighbor with a loud voice, rising early in the morning, will be counted as cursing” (Proverbs 27:14, ESV).
- Frustrated with singleness: “I am sick of love” (Song of Songs 2:5, KJV).
- “Story of Scripture”: Once upon a time a man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho and fell among thieves and the thorns grew up and choked that man and he went on and he didn’t have any money and he met the Queen of Sheba, and she gave that man a thousand talents of gold and silver and a hundred changes of raiments. And when he was driving along under a big tree, his hair got caught in a limb and left him hanging there. And he hung there many days and many nights and the ravens brought him food to eat and water to drink. And one night while he was hanging there asleep, his wife, Delilah, come along and cut his hair off, and he dropped and fell on stony ground and it began to rain and it rained forty days and forty nights. And he hid himself in a cave. And the man went out into the highways and byways and compelled him to come in. He went on and come to Jerusalem and he saw Queen Jezebel sitting high up in the window and when she saw him she laughed and he said, “Throw her down out of there,” and they threw her down. And he said, “Throw her down again,” and they threw her down, seventy times seven times and the fragments they picked up were twelve baskets full. Now whose wife will she be in the days of judgment?
Join the Conversation
Question: Have any great examples of verses out of context? I’d love to hear them!
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.