Studying the Bible in light of its context is of utmost importance. In the last episode we examined the importance of context and over the next few weeks we are going to discuss seven different key contexts you need to know when you read and study the Word of God.
In this particular episode, we look at the first two of the seven contexts: historical and cultural context. Learn what these contexts are, why they are important, and hear some examples of how studying the Bible in light of history and culture helps you understand the Bible.
Listen to and Download the Episode
7 Types of Context
1. Historical Context
- Every book of the Bible was written to a particular people in a particular historical context
- Example: Roman adoption
- Luke 2:1 – Now it happened that in those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus for a census to be taken of all the inhabited earth.
- 1 Corinthians 3:12-13 – Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man’s work will become evident, for the day will indicate it because it is revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work.
2. Cultural Context
- Any time two or more people come together, do things in a certain way, create customs and habits = culture
- The Bible is full of cultural context … and the Old Testament has a variety of different cultural contexts than the New Testament.
- Acts 1:6 – So when they had come together, they were asking Him, saying, “Lord, is it at this time You are restoring the kingdom to Israel?”
3-7. Discover the other types of context in the next episode
- Gain more resources and helps for your Bible study
- Check out my recommended resources for Bible study (including helps for context)
- Experience the best way to learn the geography and visual context by going on a Bible Study Tour with me to Israel
Join the Conversation
Question: Have any great examples of how these two type of context has helped you understand the Bible? I’d love to hear them!
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.