While Americans celebrate the holiday next week, Biblically we as Christians are called to lives of thanksgiving every single day.
In this episode, Nathan Johnson discusses six things the Bible says about thanksgiving which will help you move from a celebration once a year to a continual life of joy and thanks.
Listen to or download the episode
1. Thanksgiving is to be in every activity, every moment of the day
- Colossians 3:17 – And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
- Ephesians 5:20 – giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,
- Philippians 4:6 – do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
2. Thanksgiving is to abound in our lives
- Colossians 2:7 – rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.
- Abounding: to be abundant or plentiful; existing in large quantities
3. Thanksgiving is to increase … and be for God’s glory
- 2 Corinthians 4:15 – For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God.
4. Thanksgiving is God’s will for your life
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16–18 – Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
5. Thanksgiving is the language of the Kingdom of God
- Ephesians 5:4 – Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.
6. Thanksgiving is a LIFESTYLE for a Christian
- What would your life look like if all the complaining, frustration, anxiety, problems, issues, circumstances, gripping, distrust, confusion, criticizing, and grumbling were swallowed up in a life of thanksgiving? If the fragrance of your life was Jesus rather than the stench yourself? Read more on this.
Join the Conversation
Question: How has a life of thanksgiving changed your life and perspective in this world?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.