Reading your Bible is NOT enough!
All growing up I have been told “read your Bible.” It is a good request but it doesn’t go far enough. Did you know that Scripture tells us how we are to interact with the Word of God? Here are 29 ways from the Bible which tells us what to do with Scripture.
I encourage you, don’t just read through the list – take some time and read through (and study) the passages that correspond with each one.
- Treat God’s Word as precious (1 Samuel 3:1)
- Let God’s Word reside on your tongue (2 Samuel 23:2; Psalm 119:42; Luke 12:11-12)
- Allow God’s Word to perform all that it promises, let it build the temple, let it be verified in your life, let it bring you the rest of God (1 Kings 8:20, 26, 56; 1 Corinthians 3:16)
- Conform to the pattern for carrying the Holy Presence of God (1 Chronicles 15:15)
- Praise God’s Word (Psalm 56:4, 10; Acts 13:48)
- Publish (proclaim) God’s Word (Psalm 68:11; Acts 4:31; 8:4; 2 Timothy 4:2)
- Heed (listen to) God’s Word (Psalm 103:20; 119:24; Isaiah 66:5; Luke 10:39; John 5:24)
- Allow God’s Word to try your soul, purify your heart, and prune your life (Psalm 105:19; John 15:1-2,4)
- Hide God’s Word in your heart – protect it as your most sacred possession – let it keep you from sin (Psalm 119:11; Colossians 3:16)
- Delight yourself in His Word (Psalm 119:16, 24)
- Never forget God’s Word (Psalm 119:16; John 15:20)
- Keep God’s Word (Psalm 119:17, 101; John 14:23; Titus 1:9; 1 John 2:5)
- God’s Word is to be our strength (Psalm 119:28)
- We are to incline our heart to the Word (Psalm 119:36)
- Trust in and build your life upon God’s Word (Psalm 119:42)
- Hope in God’s Word (Psalm 119:81)
- Search God’s Word (Psalm 119:82)
- Love God’s Word and delight in its purity (Psalm 119:140)
- Meditate upon God’s Word (Psalm 119:148)
- Tremble before God’s Word (Isaiah 66:2,5)
- Let God’s Word be the joy and rejoicing of your heart (Jeremiah 15:16)
- God’s Word is to be our food, sustenance, and life (Matthew 4:4; Psalm 119:50; Jeremiah 15:16)
- Be continually mindful of the Word, abiding in its reality and truth (John 15:4-5)
- Receive God’s Word Gladly (Acts 2:41)
- Receive God’s Word with all readiness – searching it daily (Acts 17:11)
- Receive God’s Word in affliction (1 Thessalonians 1:6)
- Receive God’s Word as the Word of God (1 Thessalonians 2:13)
- Correctly understand, divide, and interpret (2 Timothy 2:15)
- Be doers of the Word (James 1:22-23)
Do you know of any others I missed? Leave a note in the comment section – I’d be thrilled to include them on my list!