We, as Christians, are called to continually abide in the True Vine (Jesus Christ).
But how can we abide in Him regardless of the circumstance we face? How do we abide in times of trouble, trials, tribulation, or temptation?
In this episode, we examine five practical ways to abide in Christ regardless of what you may be going through.
Listen to or download the episode
5 Ways to Abide in Christ in EVERY Circumstance
1. Keep your gaze upon Jesus
- Matthew 14:28-30 – Peter responded and said to Him, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” And He said, “Come!” And Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water, and came toward Jesus. But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and when he began to sink, he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!”
- Hebrews 12:1-2 – Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, laying aside every weight and the sin which so easily entangles us, let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- Colossians 1:18b – … so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything [be preeminent].
2. Know the purpose of the pruning
- Romans 8:28-29 – And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose. Because those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers;
- James 1:2-5 – Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith brings about perseverance. And let perseverance have its perfect work, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
- Romans 5:3-5 – And not only this, but we also celebrate in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
3. Celebrate in all circumstances
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 – Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.
- 2 Corinthians 7:4b – I am overflowing with joy in all our affliction.
- also see: Psalm 42:11; Isaiah 61:10; Luke 6:22-23; John 15:11; 16:22; 16:33; Romans 5:3-4; 8:18; 12:12; 2 Corinthians 4:17; 8:1-2; 12:9; Galatians 5:22-23; Philippians 4:4; Colossians 1:24; 1 Thessalonians 1:6; Hebrews 12:11; 13:5-6; James 1:2-4; 1 Peter 4:13
4. His grace is ALWAYS sufficient and available
- 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 – And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in distresses, in persecutions, in difficulties, in behalf of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong.
- “For this I have Jesus”
5. Place the pack upon the Lord (roll the burden)
- Psalm 37:5 – Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He will do it.
- Charles Spurgeon – Commit thy way unto the Lord. Roll the whole burden of life upon the Lord. Leave with Jehovah not thy present fretfulness merely, but all thy cares; in fact, submit the whole tenor of thy way to him. Cast away anxiety, resign thy will, submit thy judgment, leave all with the God of all. What a medicine is this for expelling envy! […] How blessed must he be who lives every day in obedience to it!
- Matthew 11:28-30 – Come to Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is comfortable, and My burden is light.
- 1 Peter 5:7 – … cast all your anxiety [cares] on Him, because He cares about you.
Join the Conversation
Question: How do you practically abide in Jesus in difficulty and hardship?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.