Most of us spend one day a year pondering what we are thankful for (Thanksgiving). But Christians are called to live a continual lifestyle of thanksgiving.
In this special Thanksgiving episode, we examine Ephesians 5:4 and discuss what it means to have the language of the kingdom of God—which is continually giving thanks. This isn’t a one-time event but the daily expression and promotion of God’s kingdom. For we as believers are to have a tongue (and life) of thanksgiving.
Listen to and Download the Episode
Show Notes / Additional Resources
- Listen to episode 45: How to Live a Continual Life of Thanksgiving
- Read the post: The Communion of Thanksgiving
Scriptures mentioned in this episode
- Ephesians 5:1-4 – Therefore be imitators of God as beloved children. Walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave Himself for us as a fragrant offering and a sacrifice to God. And do not let sexual immorality, or any impurity, or greed be named among you, as these are not proper among saints. Let there be no filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse joking, which are not fitting. Instead, give thanks.
- 2 Corinthians 4:15 – that grace, having spread through the many, may cause thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God.
- Philippians 4:6 – Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God …
- Colossians 4:2 – Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving …
- 1 Timothy 2:1 – Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, …
- Revelation 4:9 – Whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, who lives forever and ever…
- Revelation 7:12: “Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom, Thanksgiving and honor and power and might, Be to our God forever and ever.
- Ephesians 5:20 – … giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ …
- Philippians 3:1 – Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord.
- Philippians 4:4 – Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 – Rejoice always, praying without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
- Thanksgiving reveals the internal reality
- Thanksgiving at times is a choice … but should be the natural outflow of seeing
- Thanksgiving results in a life of leaping
- Thanksgiving is a great deterrent for sin
Join the Conversation
Question: What are you most thankful to God for?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out –
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts (formerly called iTunes)
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
About NRJohnson & the Deeper Christian Podcast
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
The Deeper Christian Podcast is the podcast to help you study God’s Word, know Jesus intimately, and discover how you can build your life around Jesus Christ. This weekly audio program, hosted by NRJohnson, dives into Scripture and encourages Christians to keep their focus upon Jesus Christ—equipping believers in how to study the Bible and know God’s Word, grow in their spiritual lives, and change the world. Main discussion topics center around practical advice on Christian living, Bible study, prayer, the Gospel, freedom from sin, evangelism and how to share your faith, the Christian disciplines, and the lives and messages from the Christian heroes from yesteryear such as A.W. Tozer, Charles Spurgeon, Major Ian Thomas, Oswald Chambers, Hudson Taylor, Amy Carmichael, Corrie Ten Boom, C.T. Studd, George Müller, Andrew Murray, Leonard Ravenhill, E.M. Bounds, and others. Learn more about the deeper Christian life.