Tis the Season! … for distraction.
Sadly, in this season between Thanksgiving and the New Year, most people seem to be in a whirlwind of hustle, bustle, busyness, and distraction.
Yet, though we should be focused all throughout the year, this is the season where we should have the most focus, the most intentionality – for the Christmas season truly is to one focus: Christ Himself.
In this episode, I give several fun (and disturbing) statistics for the distraction of the modern world and talk about the necessity of having Christ at the center of our focus and lives, especially during Christmas.
If you feel lost in a season of distraction, then this episode is for you.
Listen to and Download the Episode
Show Notes / Additional Resources
- It has been reported that the average teenager exchanges 4000 text messages each month (averaging one text every six minutes they are awake)
- 53% of people report checking email while driving
- Office workers check email up to 40 times per hour
- One study found that Americans check their phones an average of 80 times a day while on vacation, with some checking their screen more than 300 times each day
- 67% of people check their phone for messages, alerts, or calls even when they don’t notice their phone ringing or vibrating
- Awkwardly, 75% of Americans admit to using their phone in the bathroom (30% of which say they never go to the bathroom without their phone)
- And 35% of Americans check their phone before getting out of bed in the morning
- Taken from Darren Hardy’s online course “Insane Productivity”, 2018
Scripture Verses Mentioned:
- Psalm 46:10 – “be still, and know that I am God.”
- Psalm 34:8 – “… taste and see that the Lord is good”
- Colossians 1:18 – “… that in all things He [Jesus Christ] may have the preeminence.”
- Colossians 3:4 – “… Christ who is our life …”
Looking for other resources to help you dive deeper into God’s Word and Jesus Christ?
Join the Conversation
Question: What is one way you are intentional about keeping your focus on Jesus this season?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out –
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts (formerly called iTunes)
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
About NRJohnson & the Deeper Christian Podcast
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
The Deeper Christian Podcast is the podcast to help you study God’s Word, know Jesus intimately, and discover how you can build your life around Jesus Christ. This weekly audio program, hosted by NRJohnson, dives into Scripture and encourages Christians to keep their focus upon Jesus Christ—equipping believers in how to study the Bible and know God’s Word, grow in their spiritual lives, and change the world. Main discussion topics center around practical advice on Christian living, Bible study, prayer, the Gospel, freedom from sin, evangelism and how to share your faith, the Christian disciplines, and the lives and messages from the Christian heroes from yesteryear such as A.W. Tozer, Charles Spurgeon, Major Ian Thomas, Oswald Chambers, Hudson Taylor, Amy Carmichael, Corrie Ten Boom, C.T. Studd, George Müller, Andrew Murray, Leonard Ravenhill, E.M. Bounds, and others. Learn more about the deeper Christian life.