We sing the phrase, but why is it so amazing?
In this study, Nathan gives a powerful reminder of the manifold and marvelous grace of God which is truly amazing.
Not only do we learn what true biblical grace is but how that was showcased in Jesus Christ and now available to every Christian not just for salvation but to live out the Christian life.
If you think of grace as merely forgiveness of our sins, you are missing the profound depth and reality of all that grace is in our lives.
Listen to + Download the Study
Key Passage: Ephesians 2:5
Ephesians 2:4-5 – But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ–by grace you have been saved …
A Simple Bible Study Resource
CONTEXT –Out of death and into life!
Colossians 1:12-14 – giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light. He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
HOW do we get out of death and into life? By GRACE.
The Distortion of Grace Today
- Jude 1:4 – For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ
- KJV – lasciviousness [a license to sin]
What Exactly is Grace?
From Eric Ludy …
“Grace is an action, a super-heroic action – but it is more than an action
Grace is a power, an extreme power – but it is more than a power
Grace is a mercy, an extreme mercy – but it is more than a mercy
Grace is a kindness, an unmerited kindness – but it is more than kindness
Grace is a virtue, an exemplary virtue – but is more than a virtue
Grace is an historic event, an event that is central to all history – but it is more than an historic event
Grace is a gift, an unspeakable gift – but it is more than a gift
Grace is a work, a legal work of atonement, propitiation, justification, redemption, forgiveness, and adoption – but it is more than a legal work
Grace is a life, a quickening, transforming life – but is not an impersonal life
Grace is more than an action, a power, a mercy, a kindness, a virtue, an event, a gift, or a legal work. Grace is a Person.
Grace is Jesus Christ – the loving action, the unstoppable power, the extreme mercy, the unmerited kindness, the exemplary virtue, the unspeakable gift, and the perfect rescuing work of God upon the Cross (the historic event of all historic events). Grace is the Abundant Life of God made available in the Person of Jesus Christ.
Jesus is Grace.”
Scripture calls it a “Gift”
- Romans 5:15,17 – But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man’s trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many. … For if, because of one man’s trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 9:14-15 – … because of the surpassing grace of God upon you. Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!
- Ephesians 2:8 – For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,
- Ephesians 3:7 – Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God’s grace, which was given me by the working of his power.
- Ephesians 4:7 – But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift.
- 1 Peter 4:10 – As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace:
- Jesus is that gift!
- John 4:10 – Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.”
The Manifold Wonder of Grace
1 Peter 4:10 [NKJV] – As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
- Grace is given that we might labor more abundantly (1 Corinthians 15:10) – Empowering Grace
- Grace is given that we may have sufficiency in all things (2 Corinthians 9:8)
- Grace is given that we may abound to every good work (2 Corinthians 9:8)
- Grace is given to the obedience of faith (Romans 1:5)
- Grace is given as power for witnessing of the resurrection of Jesus (Acts 4:33)
- Grace is given to lay the foundations of discipleship (1 Corinthians 3:10)
- Grace is given for the preaching and evangelism (Ephesians 3:8)
- Grace is given as our means of help in time of need (Hebrews 4:16)
- Grace is given whereby we may serve God acceptably (Hebrews 12:28)
- Grace is given to make us perfect (1 Peter 5:10)
- Grace is given to establish us (1 Peter 5:10)
- Grace is given to strengthen us (1 Peter 5:10)
- Grace is given to settle us (1 Peter 5:10)
- Grace is given to save us (Ephesians 2:8)
- Grace is given to enable others to believe in Jesus Christ (Acts 18:27)
SAVED “Big S and Small S”
Saved from Sin + sins
But need salvation daily!
God’s Amazing Grace!
- 2 Timothy 1:9 – [God] who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began …
- 2 Timothy 2:1 – … be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus …
- Hebrews 4:16 – Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy [hesed] and find grace to help in time of need.
In Our Next Study Together …
I invite you to join me on this journey from the book of Ephesians to discover God’s eternal purpose, His plan for your
- The focus of our next study: Ephesians 2:6
- We will examine the reality that Christ has seated us in heavenly places as found in Ephesians 2:1-3.
- I encourage you to read through Ephesians a couple of times this week and focus specifically on Ephesians 2:1-10.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Ephesians” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
About The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series in Ephesians is a Christ-centered practical in-depth verse-by-verse study of Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. Join NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) as he expositionally preaches from this incredible book – which will help you grow in your faith, gain greater intimacy with Jesus, and understand how to study God’s Word.
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. Deeper Christian equips Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
About NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson)
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the
Read more about him here.