There is a big difference between living your life FOR God and living your life WITH Him.
In Ephesians 2:5-6, Paul is adamant that what is going on in your life is “with” Christ – you have been made alive with Him, raised with Him, and seated with Him.
In this expositional study of Ephesians, Nathan talks about the importance of a life lived with Christ.
Listen to + Download the Study
Key Passage: Ephesians 2:5-6
Ephesians 2:5-6 – “even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ–by grace you have been saved– and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, …”
A Simple Bible Study Resource
- Colossians 1:12-14 – … giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light. He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
- What God did in the physical life/death of Jesus is the same thing He does for us in the spiritual life
- Death unto life
- Raised us up into the heavenly realms
- Seated us in the heavenly places
- Ephesians 1:20 – that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places,
Three WITH words
- same words used to describe what is going on in Jesus but with the prefix “sun” [pronounced: soon] (with)
- made us alive with Christ (v5)
- raised us up with Christ (v6)
- made us sit with Him (v6)
1. God did nothing for you that wasn’t done in and through Christ
- He did not make you alive apart from Christ but WITH Christ
- we have life only because we are IN Him (anything outside of Jesus is death – He IS life)
- He didn’t merely raise you up but did so WITH Christ
- We are not seated at His right hand except IN CHRIST
- Romans 6:3-8 – Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.
2. Our lives are to be focused upon and wrapped up in Jesus
- What is going on in Jesus is now to go on in us: Christianity (His Life in and demonstrated through us)
- Colossians 1:27: God made known “what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
- His nature, attitude, flow is now to reside and flow in us
3. Jesus is the content and definition of our lives
- What if my life was so “with” Jesus that the only explanation for my life was Him?
In Our Next Study Together …
I invite you to join me on this journey from the book of Ephesians to discover God’s eternal purpose, His plan for your
- The focus of our next study: Ephesians 2:7
- We will examine God’s “immeasurable riches of His grace in kindness” in the “coming ages” as found in Ephesians 2:7.
- I encourage you to read through Ephesians a couple of times this week and focus specifically on Ephesians 2:1-10.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Ephesians” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
About The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series in Ephesians is a Christ-centered practical in-depth verse-by-verse study of Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. Join NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) as he expositionally preaches from this incredible book – which will help you grow in your faith, gain greater intimacy with Jesus, and understand how to study God’s Word.
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. Deeper Christian equips Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
About NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson)
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the
Read more about him here.