It is such a simple truth, yet holds a profound mystery – we are saved by grace through faith.
This declaration by Paul in Ephesians 2:8-9 reminds us that while we experience the benefit and blessing of salvation, it is not a work or activity we accomplished but something God entirely did for us.
In this expositional sermon, Nathan Johnson explains that this salvation by grace through faith is not something which happened merely in the past on our behalf but is the ongoing reality and experience for the believer.
Listen to + Download the Study
Key Passage: Ephesians 2:8-9
Ephesians 2:8-9 – “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.”
A Simple Bible Study Resource
- For (Greek: gar): causal = because
- You need to know the two sides of grace (the free and unmerited favor of God)
- enablement to keep from sinning
- Paul says statement twice (E2.5, 8)
- perfect tense (occurred in the past but produced a state of being or a result that exists in the present)
- passive (I have no part in it – being acted upon)
- Salvation is both a “Big S” and “small s” Salvation
- Past – 2 Timothy 1:9 – [God] who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,
- Present – 1 Corinthians 1:18 – For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
- Future – Romans 5:9-10 – Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.
- I need the salvation of Jesus every moment of my life
THROUGH (by the means of) FAITH
- Faith: “Invoking the activity of a second party”
- Romans 4:9b – For we say that faith was counted to Abraham as righteousness.
- Righteous Live By Faith
- Romans 1:17 – For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.”
- Galatians 2:20 – I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Romans 11:36 – For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.
In Our Next Study Together …
I invite you to join me on this journey from the book of Ephesians to discover God’s eternal purpose, His plan for your
- The focus of our next study: Ephesians 2:10
- We will examine Ephesians 2:10 and the concept that we are God’s workmanship.
- I encourage you to read through Ephesians a couple of times this week and focus specifically on Ephesians 2:1-10.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Ephesians” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
About The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series in Ephesians is a Christ-centered practical in-depth verse-by-verse study of Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. Join NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) as he expositionally preaches from this incredible book – which will help you grow in your faith, gain greater intimacy with Jesus, and understand how to study God’s Word.
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. Deeper Christian equips Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
About NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson)
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the
Read more about him here.