As believers, we often live as if God is incapable of handling our issues, problems, or trials. But God not only is able, He is abundantly able to go beyond your wildest thought or desire.
In this expositional message from Ephesians 3:20, Nathan Johnson discusses how God loves impossibilities, how He is abundantly able, and yet we often view God as far too small. This message will be an injection of fresh vigor to your faith.
Listen to + Download the Study
Key Passage: Ephesians 3:20
Ephesians 3:14-21 – For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.
A Simple Bible Study Resource
- D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones: We need to be “rooted and grounded in love” in order to comprehend this love of God. Love alone recognizes love, love alone understand love; indeed it is love alone what can receive love. This is a realm where intellect almost appears ridiculous … it is incompetent in this realm. [E3, pg 213]
God is Able
- Able (Greek: dynamai … related to the word dunamis): to be able, have power, be capable, able to do something
- God has overwhelming ability!
- it often appears that he likes to stack the deck against Himself
- God LOVES impossibilities for it makes us depend upon Him more
Ask & Think
- Paul says God goes beyond all we ask or think
- Ask: to ask, beg, call for, crave, desire, require
- Think: to perceive with the mind, to understand, to have understanding, to think upon, heed, ponder, consider to wrap one’s mind around something
Beyond, Beyond, Over and Above
But it is not just beyond what we ask or think … Paul uses two words for emphasis
- Abundantly (3 Greek words put together)
A. Beyond/Over (same as first beyond word)
C. exceeding, more than is necessary, superadded, supremely, abundantly, much more than all, superior, extraordinary, surpassing, uncommon, more remarkable, more excellent, pre-eminence, superiority, advantage
* This last word (perissos) is found 10 times:
- Mark 6:51: Then He went up into the boat to them, and the wind ceased. And they were greatly amazed in themselves beyond measure, and marveled.
- John 10:10: The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
How Big is Your God?
- The way we act, live, and talk makes it appear that we have a very small God indeed
- The God of the universe lives within us and He can go FAR beyond anything we can come up with
- so why then do we live in defeat?
- so why do put more faith in the work of satan than in God?
- so why do we tell God how big our problems are rather than tell our problems how big our God is?
- so why don’t we live different?
In Our Next Study Together …
I invite you to join me on this journey from the book of Ephesians to discover God’s eternal purpose, His plan for your
- The focus of our next study: Ephesians 3:20
- We will begin to look at God’s power and grace which empowers us to live the Christian life as Paul talks about in Ephesians 3:20.
- I encourage you to read through Ephesians a couple of times this week and focus specifically on Ephesians 3:14-21.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Ephesians” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
About The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series
The Deeper Christian Bible Study Series in Ephesians is a Christ-centered practical in-depth verse-by-verse study of Paul’s letter to the Ephesians. Join NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) as he expositionally preaches from this incredible book – which will help you grow in your faith, gain greater intimacy with Jesus, and understand how to study God’s Word.
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. Deeper Christian equips Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
About NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson)
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the
Read more about him here.