God doesn’t merely give us peace … He is our peace.
In these crazy and dark days in which we live, many people are living in great fear, anxiety, worry, foreboding, and stress. Yet, Jesus promises to be our peace and to guard our hearts and minds—regardless of the circumstance or situation swirling around us.
In this episode, we examine the character and Name of God “Jehovah Shalom”—the God of Peace—and discuss what it means to have the One who is peace itself residing within our lives.
Listen to or download the episode
Show Notes / Additional Resources
- Receive the Deeper Christian quotes in your inbox either daily or once a week on Saturdays
- The Hebrew concept of peace is “shalom” — a derivative of shâlêm (which means “be complete” or “sound”). Shalom is often understood as “peace” or “the absence from strife” or “the removal of every enemy faction.” And there is an undercurrent in the word giving the idea of well-being, health, prosperity, security, soundness, and completeness/wholeness.
- Judges 6:22-24 – When Gideon saw that he was the angel of the LORD, he said, “Alas, O Lord GOD! For now I have seen the angel of the LORD face to face.” The LORD said to him, “Peace to you, do not fear; you shall not die.” Then Gideon built an altar there to the LORD and named it The LORD is Peace. To this day it is still in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.
- Isaiah 9:6 – For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
- Ephesians 2:14a – For He Himself is our peace …
- 1 Corinthians 3:16 – Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
- Edward B. Pusey –True peace is when the soul revolves around its center, Almighty God, craving for nothing but what God continually supplies. Since the soul is large enough to contain the infinite God, nothing less than Himself can satisfy or fill it.
Join the Conversation
Question: How have you experienced Jesus as the “God of Peace” (Jehovah Shalom)?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.