For many believers, we have become distracted from what Paul calls the “simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ” (2 Corinthians 11:3). In short, we are too easily preoccupied with everything but Jesus … even if it is good and godly things.
As we celebrate our 300th episode, we talk about the single most important thing—the truth that Jesus is all and He is to preeminent and first place in our lives.
In Colossians 1:25–27, Paul says that the message of his preaching is the “mystery” (Christ in you) – “… so that I might fully carry out the preaching of the word of God, that is, the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints, to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.”
1. Christ is the message
- 1 Corinthians 1:23–24 – … but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
- Colossians 1:18 – … so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.
- Colossians 1:18 (NKJV) – … that in all things He may have the preeminence.
- Colossians 1:18 (ESV) – … that in everything he might be preeminent.
2. We are so easily distracted from the center (even by good and godly things)
- 2 Corinthians 11:3 – But I fear that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be corrupted from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 11:3 (ESV) – But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ.
- Colossians 3:1–4 – Therefore, if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you died and your life has been hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is manifested, then you also will be manifested with Him in glory.
3. Jesus is everything we need
- 2 Peter 1:3–4 – seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the full knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.
- Romans 11:36 – For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen.
- 2 Corinthians 9:8 – And God is able to make every grace abound to you, so that in everything at every time having every sufficiency, you may have an abundance for every good deed …
- What is in your life that is distracting you from Jesus?
- What do you need to do today to start building your entire life, every minute, around Jesus?
- most of us give Him 10 minutes in the morning but then spend the rest of the day on ourselves – how can our entire day focus on Him?
- One practical idea: pray without ceasing (invite Jesus into the everyday moments of your life)
- Does everything I do bring God glory? Do I do everything for Him?
- 1 Corinthians 10:31 – Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
Listen to or download the episode
Join the Conversation
Question: How are you intentionally building your life around Jesus Christ?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.