We live amidst a dark, polluted, and sexually perverse generation.
But does that mean we cater to culture and give into the immorality and twistedness? Of course not.
The question then becomes: how can we live a life of purity when we are surrounded by such impurity?
In his epistles, Paul gives us advice about how to live in purity, holiness, and righteousness … something he knew was possible as he lived in a similar generation of moral decay … but the Bible also gives us insight on how to, as Paul wrote in Romans 12:2, “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind …”
In this episode, we talk about what it means to walk in purity, but more so what the Bible says about HOW you can live a life of purity.
Listen to and Download the Episode
Show Notes / Additional Resources
- Ephesians 5:3 – And do not let sexual immorality, or any impurity, or greed be named among you, as these are not proper among saints.
- Romans 12:1-2 – I urge you
therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, and acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service of worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
- Psalm 119:9 – How shall a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word.
- Psalm 119:11 – Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.
- Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus [Song]
Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace
Helpful Resources for Memorization
- The Value of Scripture Memorization (by NA Woychuk)
- An Overview to Memorizing Scripture
- 8 Simple Ideas to Help you Memorize Scripture
- How to Start Memorizing Scripture Topically
- 60 Reminders For Why You Should Memorize Scripture
- 6 Quick Tips to Help You Memorize Scripture
- 10 Reasons Why You Should Memorize Scripture
Great Scripture Verses to Start Memorizing …
- Purity – Romans 12:2; 1 Timothy 4:12; Psalm 119:9; 1 Peter 5:8-9; 1 Corinthians 10:13; Romans 12:21; 1 Corinthians 15:57; Hebrews 12:1; 1 John 1:9; Exodus 20:14; 2 Timothy 1:13-14; Titus 2:11-14; Hebrews 2:18; 1 John 2:15-16; Matthew 5:27-28; Philippians 4:8; 1 Corinthians 6:13, 18; Colossians 3:5; Ephesians 5:3; James 1:27; Psalm 51:10; Romans 13:14; Luke 11:34-35; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5; Psalm 24:1-4
- Pride – 1 Peter 5:5-9; Isaiah 2:12; James 4:6, 10; Philippians 2:1-8; Proverbs 8:13; Proverbs 11:12; Proverbs 16:18-19; Romans 12:3, 16; 1 Corinthians 13:4
- Direction in Life / Trusting God – Proverbs 3:5-6; Jeremiah 29:11; Proverbs 19:21; Romans 8:28; Isaiah 40:29-31; Psalms 139:14; Joshua 1:9
- Facing Difficulties – James 1:2-4; Romans 5:3-5; Philippians 4:12-13; 2 Corinthians 4:8; 1 Peter 5:8-10; John 14:27; Philippians 4:6-7
- In General – 2 Peter 1:3; John 3:16-17; Philippians 4:8; Psalms 19:14; Matthew 28:18–20; Colossians 1:15-20; Philippians 3:7-11; Galatians 5:22-23
- Great Books to Start Memorizing – Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, James, 1 John
- Longer Passages to Memorize – Matthew 5-7; 1 Corinthians 13; Romans 12; Psalm 23; Psalm 46; Romans 8
Join the Conversation
Question: What is one of your favorite Bible verses you’ve memorized and what ideas/tricks do you have to help you memorize Scripture?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out –
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts (formerly called iTunes)
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
About NRJohnson & the Deeper Christian Podcast
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
The Deeper Christian Podcast is the podcast to help you study God’s Word, know Jesus intimately, and discover how you can build your life around Jesus Christ. This weekly audio program, hosted by NRJohnson, dives into Scripture and encourages Christians to keep their focus upon Jesus Christ—equipping believers in how to study the Bible and know God’s Word, grow in their spiritual lives, and change the world. Main discussion topics center around practical advice on Christian living, Bible study, prayer, the Gospel, freedom from sin, evangelism and how to share your faith, the Christian disciplines, and the lives and messages from the Christian heroes from yesteryear such as A.W. Tozer, Charles Spurgeon, Major Ian Thomas, Oswald Chambers, Hudson Taylor, Amy Carmichael, Corrie Ten Boom, C.T. Studd, George Müller, Andrew Murray, Leonard Ravenhill, E.M. Bounds, and others. Learn more about the deeper Christian life.