Shakespeare wrote in Romeo and Juliet: “A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”
While that may be true for the flower, it isn’t true for names in the Bible.
Throughout Scripture, names of places and people hold tremendous significance … and perhaps one of the greatest discoveries is that God Himself reveals His Names. But more than a casual title, such names declare His character, nature, life, and reputation.
In this episode, we discuss the significance of names throughout Scripture (and I share one of my favorite and funny stories in the Old Testament) and show how understanding names can deepen your perspective on Scripture as well as change your life.
Listen to and Download the Episode
Show Notes / Additional Resources
- Shakespeare: “A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” (Romeo and Juliet)
- Name changes mentioned:
- Abram » Abraham
- Sarai » Sarah
- Jacob » Israel
- God’s Names reveal His character, nature, and reputation
- El Shaddai (Lord God Almighty)
- El Elyon (The Most High God)
- Adonai (Lord, Master)
- Yahweh (Lord, Jehovah)
- Jehovah Nissi (The Lord My Banner)
- Jehovah-Raah (The Lord My Shepherd) … (see Psalm 23)
- Jehovah Rapha (The Lord That Heals) … (see Exodus 15 and listen to Episode 42)
- Jehovah Shammah (The Lord Is There)
- Jehovah Tsidkenu (The Lord Our Righteousness)
- Jehovah Mekoddishkem (The Lord Who Sanctifies You)
- El Olam (The Everlasting God) … (see the end of Genesis 21)
- Elohim (God)
- Qanna (Jealous)
- Jehovah Jireh (The Lord Will Provide)
- Jehovah Shalom (The Lord Is Peace)
- Jehovah Sabaoth (The Lord of Hosts)
- El Shaddai (Lord God Almighty)
- Revelation 2:17b: [to the church in Pergamos] “… And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.”
- Eric Ludy: “The Name of God is the power, the trustworthiness, and the legend of His Person. To know His Name is to know His true Person, His glory. He said, “I AM” is who He is. He is the Creator of all, the beginning and end, the Almighty, All-Powerful, All-wise Judge of the
eternals. It is this Name that He bestows upon us as our inheritance. In the blood covenant that He established upon the Cross, He has invited us into intimacy to become His bride and to bear His name, His likeness, His love, His fragrance, His character, His suffering, and His joy. We may bear His power and His grace but we also must bear His sorrow and His cross.”
Join the Conversation
Question: What is your favorite Name of God? Why?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out –
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts (formerly called iTunes)
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
About NRJohnson & the Deeper Christian Podcast
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
The Deeper Christian Podcast is the podcast to help you study God’s Word, know Jesus intimately, and discover how you can build your life around Jesus Christ. This weekly audio program, hosted by NRJohnson, dives into Scripture and encourages Christians to keep their focus upon Jesus Christ—equipping believers in how to study the Bible and know God’s Word, grow in their spiritual lives, and change the world. Main discussion topics center around practical advice on Christian living, Bible study, prayer, the Gospel, freedom from sin, evangelism and how to share your faith, the Christian disciplines, and the lives and messages from the Christian heroes from yesteryear such as A.W. Tozer, Charles Spurgeon, Major Ian Thomas, Oswald Chambers, Hudson Taylor, Amy Carmichael, Corrie Ten Boom, C.T. Studd, George Müller, Andrew Murray, Leonard Ravenhill, E.M. Bounds, and others. Learn more about the deeper Christian life.