The first week of each month, we examine one of God’s Names to learn more about Who He is and how Jesus reveals and showcases this incredible attribute to us in the flesh (for He is God in the flesh).
In today’s study, we dive into God’s Name “Jehovah Mekoddishkem,” meaning “The LORD Who Sanctifies You.”
Though in our culture “holiness” has received a bad rap – often seen in the negative or as a list of legalistic dos and don’ts – holiness in the Bible is always a positive thing for it reflects the nature of God.
God is holy and invites you to share in His holiness.
God’s Name Jehovah Mekoddishkem is a beautiful reminder that we, in and of ourselves, cannot be holy – but He not only calls us to be holy, He also makes it possible, for He is the One who sanctifies us.
Listen to and Download the Episode
Show Notes / Additional Resources
- Leonard Ravenhill – You know, we live in a day when we are more afraid of holiness than we are of sinfulness.
- Exodus 15:11 – Who is like You … O LORD? Who is like You, majestic in holiness, awesome in praises, working wonders?
- Isaiah 6:1-3 – In the year of King Uzziah’s death I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple. Seraphim stood above Him, each having six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called out to another and said, “Holy, Holy, Holy, is the LORD of hosts, The whole earth is full of His glory.”
- Isaiah 64:6 – For all of us have become like one who is unclean, And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.
- 1 Peter 1:15-16, 18-19 – … but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, “YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY.” … knowing that you were not redeemed with perishable things like silver or gold from your futile way of life inherited from your forefathers, but with precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless.
- Ezekiel 36:23 – I will vindicate the holiness of My great name which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst. Then the nations will know that I am the LORD,” declares the Lord GOD, “when I prove Myself holy among you in their sight.
- Hebrews 7:26 – For it was fitting for us to have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens…
- 2 Peter 1:3-4 – … seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.
The Name “Yahweh Mekoddishkem” appears two times in the Old Covenant
- Exodus 31:13 – But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you.’
- Leviticus 20:7-8 – You shall consecrate yourselves therefore and be holy, for I am the LORD your God. You shall keep My statutes and practice them; I am the LORD who sanctifies you.
Join the Conversation
Question: How has God been sanctifying your life as of late?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.