Studying the Bible in light of its context is of utmost importance.
In this particular episode, we conclude our mini-series looking at seven important types of context you need to keep in mind as you study Scripture. As we examine the last three types of contexts (scriptural, geographical, visual), learn what these contexts are, why they are important, and hear some examples of how studying the Bible in light of history and culture helps you understand the Bible.
Listen to and Download the Episode
7 Types of Context
1. Historical Context
2. Cultural Context
3. Linguistic + Grammatical Context
4. Literary Context
5. Scriptural Context
- Place of a passage in a book
- Passage within writings of the same author
- Place in overall Canon of Scripture (ie: Bible)
6. Geographical Context
- Use a Bible atlas
- Remember that locations and names are important
7. Visual Context
- Knowing what things looked like can be significant. For example, what does the Sea of Galilee look like and how does its geography affect Bible stories? What did houses look like in the time of Jesus and why is that important to accounts such as the woman losing a coin in her house (Luke 15) and the paralytic’s friends openign the roof to have Jesus heal him (Mark 2)?
- Gain more resources and helps for your Bible study
- Check out my recommended resources for Bible study (including helps for context)
- Experience the best way to learn the geography and visual context by going on a Bible Study Tour with me to Israel
Join the Conversation
Question: Have any great examples of how these two type of context has helped you understand the Bible? I’d love to hear them!
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.