The Bible has endless connections and references to itself.
The New Testament often references the Old, the Old is pointing to the New, and there are similar concepts and phrases mentioned throughout that allude and presume a relationship with another. Many Bibles come with a column of simple cross-reference notes, but the best Bible cross-reference system is the one you create.
In this episode, Nathan talks about the importance of cross-references in Scripture and how you can create your own easy but profound system.
Examples of my own Cross-Reference System
- Deuteronomy 6:4-5 (“The Shema”)
- Obvious ones: Matthew 22:36-40; Mark 12:28-31; Luke 10:25-37
- Less obvious ones: Eccles. 12:13, Galatians 5:14
- It is impossible to love God with all our heart without obedience to His Word: 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6; John 14:15, 21, 23
- Psalm 1:3 (tree planted by rivers of water, brings forth its fruit in its season)
- Jeremiah 17:8, Revelation 22:2, Ezek 47:12, Isa 61:3
- Galatians 5:22 (fruit of the Spirit), Numbers 13:23 (size of fruit in the Land of Promise)
- Ephesians 3:17 (rooted in Christ)
- Other Resources:
- Thompson Chain Reference Bible (free on BlueLetterBible.org)
- Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge (free on BlueLetterBible.org)
- NASB puts all caps in the NT pointing to OT
- Example: Hebrews 1:8-9 (quotation of Psalm 45:7, Isa 61:1, 3)
Listen to or download the episode
Show Notes / Additional Resources
Join the Conversation
Question: What are some of your favorite cross-references that you’ve found while studying Scripture?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.