Jesus is the LIGHT!
In the midst of the Feast of Tabernacles, Jesus stands up and declares “I AM the Light of the world; he who follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.”
This declaration compounds by the large menorahs shining bright in the city of Jerusalem throughout the Feast.
In this episode, Nathan discusses the Feast of Tabernacles, the Old Testament picture of God as light, and how Jesus fulfills the reality of being the Light of Life. But in the end, we are confronted with the truth that while we may think we have religious “light,” we are actually walking around blind because we haven’t fully embraced Jesus.
Listen to or download the episode
Show Notes / Additional Resources
- Isaiah 60:1 – Arise, shine, for your light has come, And the glory of Yahweh has risen upon you.
- Isaiah 60:19 – No longer will you have the sun for light by day, Nor for brightness will the moon give you light; But you will have Yahweh for an everlasting light, And your God for your glory.
- Revelation 22:5 – And there will no longer be any night, and they will not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun, because the Lord God will illumine them, and they will reign forever and ever.
- Psalm 27:1 – Yahweh is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? Yahweh is the strong defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
- Daniel 2:22 – He reveals the deep and hidden things; He knows what is in the darkness, And the light dwells with Him.
- Micah 7:8 – Do not be glad over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise; Though I inhabit the darkness, Yahweh is a light for me.
- Isaiah 9:2 – The people who walk in darkness Will see a great light; Those who live in the land of the shadow of death, The light will shine on them.
- John 1:4-5 – In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. And the Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overtake it.
- John 7:37-39 – Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. “He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, ‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.'” But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were going to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
- John 8:12 – Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.”
- John 9:5 – While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.
Join the Conversation
Question: How have you experienced Jesus as Light?
Leave a response or ask a question and we will try to address it in a future episode.
The difficulty with podcasts is that they are one-sided—so each week I ask one question for you to participate in the conversation. Head over to the deeperChristian Facebook page to leave a comment and join in the conversation.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe on your favorite app by searching for “Deeper Christian Podcast” or clicking the button below.
Help Others Out …
Leave a Rating & Review on Apple Podcasts
If you enjoyed the show, please take 30 seconds and rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. This would be a tremendous blessing to help us get the word out to others who might also enjoy it—as Apple uses the rating and reviews in their searches to help other people find the show.
NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) is a Christian who has an overwhelming passion for Jesus, the Gospel, and Studying God’s Word. He is a writer, teacher, and communicator who helps other believers understand and apply the Bible as they grow and mature in their faith—desiring that they gain greater intimacy with Christ, experience the victorious Christian life, and transform the world through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit. Read more about him here.
About the Deeper Christian Podcast
Many Christians feel frustrated because they don’t grow spiritually. The Deeper Christian Podcast helps equip Christians to understand the Word of God and cultivate a passionate love for Jesus that turns the world upside down.
Whether you want to learn how to study God’s Word, grow in your faith, cultivate a powerful and effective prayer life, share the Gospel boldly, deepen your intimacy with Jesus, live victoriously, or transform the world through the indwelling life of the Holy Spirit, the Deeper Christian Podcast with NRJohnson (Nathan Johnson) will encourage and equip you to grow spiritually and live a Christ-centered life.